2 whole red bream or large
snapper prepared and cut into
1 inch pieces
2 tbsp spice seasoning
2 tbsp malt vinegar
flour, for dusting
oil, for frying
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp butter
1 onion, finely chopped
10oz fresh tomatoes, peeled and finely dhopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 thyme springs
2 1/2 cups fish stock or water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 hot chilli pepper, chopped
8oz green and red pepper, finely chopped
parsley springs, to garnish
1. Sprinkle the fish with the spice seasoning and vinegar, turning to coat.
2. Set aside to marinate for at least 2 hours. When ready to cook, place a little flour on a large plate and coat with fish pieces, shaking off any excess pieces.
3. Heat a little oil in a large frying pan and fry the fish pieces for about 5 minutes until golden brown, then set aside to finish cooking in the sauce.
4.To make the sauce, heat the oil & butter in a large pan and stir-fry the onion for 5 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, garlic, and thyme, stir well and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Stir in stock or water, cinnamon and hot pepper.
7. Add the fish pieces and the chopped peppers.
8. Simmer until the fish is cooked through, and the stock has reduced to a thick sauce.
9. Adjust the seasoning with salt. Serve hot, garnish with parsley.